Forward Motion for Writers

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the new Forward Motion forum!

Tell us who you are, and a little about your writing.

TOPIC: Targeted word count.

Targeted word count. 2 years 5 months ago #55153

• Ashe Elton Parker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • This Dragon is immortal and may never be slain.
  • Thank you received: 2499
Welcome to FM, Doozy.

Magic Seeker's advice is solid, but I'd add a few things else.

First, in addition to reading as much as you can from the genre you wish to write, I'd also suggest reading from as many genres as you can as widely as possible, both fiction and nonfiction. No one can predict what knowledge they'll need for a particular story, or how a story from another genre may help inform upon the genre one chooses to focus on.

Also, in your pursuit of a publishing contract, I'd suggest you also consider submitting your first novel to publishing house editors directly (which, yes, will require more research to find such willing editors) and, if you receive a contract, taking it to an Intellectual Properties attorney who specializes in publishing contracts (you don't need to retain their services indefinitely). In addition, look around online for information on publishing contracts offered by publishing houses and how to negotiate a more fair contract for yourself (which can be done without an attorney's aid, but is made easier if you know what to look for). If you do decide to go throguh an agent, do not blindly sign any contracts for their services they present to you--contracts are legal documents, and there is a dearth of lawyers working as publishing agents--and many agents may offer a contract that is unfair to the author, if only because they are not lawyers.

Simply, research the modern publishing industry as thoroughly as possible before submitting any of your work. Remember, the publishing company has lawyers on their side. The least you can do is ensure you're equally prepared.

I hope this wasn't too overwhelming for you. If you have any questions about anything, including the publishing industry, feel free to post them in the section where they seem to fit best. It may take a while, but someone should eventually respond.

Congrats on your writing successes and having multiple completed first drafts, and good luck with finding your series a home!

Ashe Elton Parker
A writer of LGBT characters in Speculative Fiction.

My Instagram

I try to Art too
My DeviantArt

Member Since 1998

~

"There's someone in my head, but it's not me." ~ Pink Floyd
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Ashe Elton Parker.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Replies in Topic: Targeted word count.

Targeted word count. doozy 2 years 5 months ago
Targeted word count. Magic Seeker 2 years 5 months ago
Targeted word count. Ashe Elton Parker 2 years 5 months ago
Targeted word count. Magic Seeker 2 years 4 months ago
Targeted word count. doozy 2 years 4 months ago