Writing App for Tablet

Home Forums Main Lobby The Main Board Writing App for Tablet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 422
    • Replies - 9,194

I recently purchased an Amazon Fire tablet and need some help deciding on/finding a writing app. Since the only Tablet App version of Scrivener is for iOS, I can’t use that (which I knew beforehand, and was one of the factors going into my decision to purchase the Fire). I’ve set up my Fire to accept Apps from outside the Amazon Appstore, but am undecided on which writing app to download (I won’t download a pay app unless I can try it out, without entering payment information, first) since I didn’t like the poor rating on the Open Office app, which was actually not provided by Apache (the company who makes OO for PC), another reason why I didn’t like it.

I’m looking for an app to and from which I can easily transfer my writing to the computer. It doesn’t need to be fancy, but it does need to permit rich text formatting. I won’t object to downloading/purchasing a copy of the program for my computer if necessary, provided one is available.

So, what apps do y’all use for writing on your tablets?

Ashe Elton Parker
    "There's someone in my head, but it's not me." ~ from the song Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Look me up on Wattpad for some of my books!
    MarFisk
    • Topics - 558
    • Replies - 15,534

I’m interested in the answer ever since my plans to replicate what I do on my Android phones were broken by the Fire’s lack of a DropBox app. I’ll have to check because I may have found a way around this. Don’t remember as my Fire frustrates me so I haven’t gotten much use out of it :p.

Edited to add: If I have figured out a way around to get DropBox, then I use the Microsoft Office apps because they synchronize with DropBox and are free as long as you create new docs in DropBox not the app. The only limitation is you have to use docx and xlsx formats not doc and xls.

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.
    https://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com/the-steamship-chronicles/

Anonymous
    • Topics - 16
    • Replies - 89

I have a (by now old) Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with a Logitech keyboard, which I use to write during breaks at my regrettably necessary retail job. :pinch: Like you, I wanted to be able to save in rich text format, and I found OfficeSuite by Mobisystems. You can upgrade to premium, but the free version is fully functional and allows .rtf, .docx, and .txt files. For .doc, you need to pay for premium.

My one gripe with the software is it has trouble handling input above large blocks of text. In other words, if you add a line at the beginning of a large file, the words don’t appear as quickly as you type them. This could also be a limitation of the hardware; I’ve never tried to verify either way. That said, I’m currently editing the second of two novels with it, and I haven’t found the problem to be a showstopper. Otherwise, I’m perfectly happy with the software.

Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 422
    • Replies - 9,194

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like it’s got what I need. I’ll certainly test it out!

Ashe Elton Parker
    "There's someone in my head, but it's not me." ~ from the song Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Look me up on Wattpad for some of my books!
    Balthamus
    Participant
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 126

Microsoft office has an android app I’ve used on my phone, though I’ve never used it for serious typing but only the occasional edit of a document.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.