Why I don’t submit more short stories – a self-realization, and a question

Home Forums Main Lobby The Main Board Why I don’t submit more short stories – a self-realization, and a question

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Justin
    • Topics - 3,512
    • Replies - 513

I hope you’re right. That’s th egenre I work in, but so far I haven’t seen any uptick in my sales! <G/>” title=”<g>” class=”bbcode_smiley” /></p>
<p>Justin</g></p>

</div><!-- .bbp-reply-content -->
</div><!-- .reply -->

<div id=

Weird Jim
    Participant
    • Topics - 131
    • Replies - 420

I ran across an ad for a book published here, and while I doubt (for reasons I won’t elaborate) if they call themselves New Adult, this could be where you find a readership. You’d need to do some of the despised searching, but there are lots of colleges and universities full of young people. I would think there’d be lots of competition, too.

Douglas College

Douglas College is in British Columbia which is why I looked them up, not for any market reasons.

Weird Jim
    Participant
    • Topics - 131
    • Replies - 420
    Justin wrote:
    I hope you’re right. That’s th egenre I work in, but so far I haven’t seen any uptick in my sales! <G/>” title=”<g>” class=”bbcode_smiley” /></p>
<p>Justin</g></div>
</div>
<p>
Here’s a WD article on the subject.</p>
<p><a href=Writers Digest

Do you have an agent? As St. Martin’s Press was the originator of the term, (I hesitate to call it a genre, yet) maybe you could suggest to your agent to submit some of your stuff to them.

Edit:

Quote:
    (I hesitate to call it a genre, yet)

Actually I hesitate to call it a genre at all. It’s really a sort of sub-category.

Genre = Romance; Western; Fantasy; SF etc.]

David Bridger
    Participant
    • Topics - 25
    • Replies - 212
    Quote:
    Here’s a WD article on the subject.

Writers Digest

Do you have an agent? As St. Martin’s Press was the originator of the term, (I hesitate to call it a genre, yet) maybe you could suggest to your agent to submit some of your stuff to them.

That WD article is four years old. In a fast moving market that might as well be forty years.

It’s well and truly a genre now.

KatsInCommand
    Participant
    • Topics - 75
    • Replies - 1,263

I don’t have a list per se, but I submit top down and use this free tool (http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/thegrinder/Search.aspx) as a method of searching for the next market. Takes 30 seconds to use, and you can search genre/subgenre. I also use it for tracking the subs so I’m not in danger of duplicate submissions to a market.

Justin
    • Topics - 3,512
    • Replies - 513

Nope, no agent. I am toxic to the creatures for some reason. :)

KatsInCommand
    Participant
    • Topics - 75
    • Replies - 1,263
    Justin wrote:
    Nope, no agent. I am toxic to the creatures for some reason. :)

:silly: I’ve read enough of Dean Wesley Smith’s blog series to be cautiously avoiding them. I haven’t yet solidified my opinion just yet though.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.