Webcomic Author — Freelance Artist & Writer — Forum Noob! (Sierra J)

Home Forums House of Creativity Welcome Mat: The Spot for Newcomers Webcomic Author — Freelance Artist & Writer — Forum Noob! (Sierra J)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sierra J
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

[table][tr]
      [td]
      Hello, I’m Sierra J. I don’t have a lot of professional experience, but I’ve always enjoyed art and writing. I’m here to explore the craft a little more and learn from an active forum community. I’d also like to contribute from an artist’s perspective, and share some thoughts on how art can help conceptualize and inspire stories.

My main long-term writing project right now is a fantasy/conspiracy-drama webcomic called MOROCHEY. It takes place on an Earth-like planet that has a rich tradition of crystal-based elemental magic. It’s set in a time in which the magics, and the traditions surrounding them, are struggling to survive in the rapidly modernizing world. Though the actual production of the comic has slowed in recent months, it already has two completed Seasons worth of content, with a third Season in progress now.

Though, being a comic, Morochey isn’t quite as verbose as a novel, writing it still comes with lots of the joys and pitfalls of its Genre. The fantasy aspects present the challenge of explaining lore in a way that keeps the reader’s attention, and makes things clear, without distracting from the story. The plot, which revolves around the “Mystic Crystals, Money, and Men in Black” in the tagline, makes it tough to balance suspense and event-resolution. As for the personal dramas in my characters’ lives… well, less is probably more, but for someone with a roleplaying background it’s hard to keep away from! :blush: In spite of the story-struggles that pop up, it really is a lot of fun to share this little slice of alternate reality with the world! And after all, what’s writing for if not to let readers peek into these little faerie places that went and built themselves in our brains?

Other writing over the years has been mostly in smaller chunks. Short stories, contests, poetry, blogging, and lots of songs have made up the bulk of it. I used to work under a screen name as The Merry Lurker, when my old blog was active. Nowadays I’m getting back into blogging with Sierra’s Column, this time as myself.

I’ve also done a lot of online roleplayng– mainly Star Wars stuff. Yeah, yeah, I’m a geek. I played on Starsider back before SWG got shut down, and recently got back to RP on Ebon Hawk in SWTOR. It may not be super serious writing, but it’s a lot of fun, and makes writing come much more naturally. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to relax with writing something frivolous, without feeling like they’re wasting time.

….Oh, and if you’re on TOR, go to Ebon Hawk. We need more RPers over there! :D

Anyway, now that you know who I am, I look forward to seeing what the rest of the community is about! Of course, any critiques and suggestions are welcome, too, so don’t worry about offending. After all, we’re all here to learn!
      [/td]
      [/tr][/table]

Magic Seeker
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hello Sierra. Welcome to FM!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :)

Happy writing,
        Deb Salisbury
        The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
        www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
        https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
        http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

Sierra J
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

Thanks! ^_^

DavidMoore
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

wow… what a great blogs! Amazing stuff!

Keep it up please)

Best.

J.A. Marlow
              125 Pirate Gold Coins

Looks like you keep very busy with the creativity! Have you thought of doing a novelization of the webcomic? It would give you practice in long-form writing, and possibly give you another income stream (if that’s something you want).

Since you are an artist (I am, too. Dreamerscove over at Deviantart), why not tell a story inspired by one of your finished pieces? Then you have a ready-made cover. :P

Welcome to FM!

J.A. Marlow
              The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

Sierra J
              Participant
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

I never thought of novelizing the comic itself, come to think of it. That’s a good idea. How hard is it to sell an e-book?

I’m working on a story inspired by a poster of a Dragon, but I’m kind of stuck on it. Not sure how badguyish I want the humans to be. They.. basically are enslaving sentient dragons.

Thanks for the welcome and the ideas!

Ashe Elton Parker
                  38 Pirate Gold Coins

You could have a range of humans. In no particular order:

1. Humans who are deliberately cruel to the dragons, for various reasons including to prove how much more powerful/better/more intelligent/brave the humans are.

2. Humans who have enslaved dragons but are kind to them and treat them well, without abuse or misuse.

3. Humans who would like to have a dragon, but would prefer to approach the dragon as an equal in intellect, but who may be hindered from befriending any dragons due to the dragons’ reaction(s) to the cruel humans and the fact they’re enslaved at all.

4. Humans who absolutely refuse to enslave dragons for any reason, whether they believe the dragons will retaliate violently somehow, or that the dragons should be a protected “animal” (basically doubting the dragons’ sentience), or that slavery of any sentient creature is wrong regardless of who’s doing it to whom.

5. Humans who believe that humans and dragons ought to live separately from each other and interact as little as possible for whatever personal reasons (including fear of the dragons) they conceive.

Just a suggestion. :)

As I see it, this would add depth and complexity to the world, and enable you to have a variety of conflicts depending on which group(s) you have characters from.

Ashe Elton Parker
                  "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
                  ~*~
                  Member since 1998.
                  ~*~
                  Sierra J
                  Participant
                    0 Pirate Gold Coins

Ooh that’s true. It’d make it more realistic, too, people being people.

Also, #4 sparks an idea. What if, in addition, there were dragons that even denied that humans were fully sentient. Imagine people considered to be on the same level as intelligent dogs, or Pokemon, or something, because they don’t have higher functions like magic.

Speaking of which, how messed up is Pokemon! Team Mewtwo? Team Mewtwo.

Ashe Elton Parker
                      38 Pirate Gold Coins

Oh, that’s an aspect I hadn’t considered, re dragons. That would make for interesting conflict among the dragons–those who aren’t enslaved and believe humans aren’t intelligent would probably have some level of contempt for those who are enslaved.

And there may be dragons who believe they should enslave humans in retaliation for what the humans are doing to their fellow dragons.

Ashe Elton Parker
                      "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
                      ~*~
                      Member since 1998.
                      ~*~
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.