The writer’s brain.

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad The writer’s brain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Weird Jim
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

It is said that most people have one side of the brain dominant — either the left side or the rigtht side. (There’s another side???)

Have you looked into this? One side is said to be orderly; the other chaotic. (Very rough explanation.)

Which type would you think makes the better writer?

Magic Seeker
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’d say a writer needs both equally. The muse lives on the chaotic side, but we need the orderly side for the work to make any sense – and for it to get finished. :P

Happy writing,
        Deb Salisbury
        The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
        www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
        https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
        http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

cachance
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

I prefer to think of the “sides” as either linear (left) and nonlinear (right). And yes, some people use both almost equally. I’m one of those. I agree that being able to use both as needed is probably helpful to a writer.

From a biological perspective, unless you have a defect, the two sides of the brain do communicate via the corpus collosum (sp?). For most right-handed people, speech is on the left side. It’s not quite as clear for lefties.

silvara
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

Many years ago, I read a book called “Writing on Both Sides of the Brain” by Henriette Klauser, which talked a lot about using your creative side to write the rough draft, and your analytic side to revise the work. It was interesting to read about, and would suggest that the ideal would be able to use both sides of your brain together to create the perfect writer.

rainbowgryphon
            Participant
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

I don’t think this is as clear-cut as scientists once thought. Not only do both sides of the brain communicate, as cachance mentioned, but each side can compensate for the other to a certain extent. I think it’s much more complex than it seems on the surface.

What I’m trying to say is that I’m not convinced it has to do with how we were born. I tend to think it has more to do with whether you were more encouraged as a kid to explore your creativity (drawing, playing pretend, etc.) or whether you were more encouraged to do logical, orderly tasks (playing strategy board games, doing crosswords, etc.).

Therefore, if you want to nurture your creativity and weren’t encouraged to do so, you can “re-train” your brain as an adult. It may not be as effortless as when you were a kid, but you can learn to reclaim that creative child.

Just my opinion, though. I’ve got no science to back it up. :)

Rainbow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.