Space opera/soft SF recommendations?

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad Space opera/soft SF recommendations?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Keeley
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’m looking for books in the space opera and/or soft SF genre with these elements:

* Mythology (can be in the form of archetypes)
      * Redemption
      * Main characters who start out weak/powerless and end up strong by the end.

Are there any authors or books you’d recommend?

Author of a romance between Loki and Sigyn, a dragon shapeshifter series, and a romantic fantasy with forbidden magic and a mysterious minstrel. (More at amykeeley.wordpress.com)

Also writes space opera/sociological science fiction under the name Z.A. Waterstone. (zawaterstone.wordpress.com)

astropolis
      Participant
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

My SF may not be quite what you are looking for. I do have a female MC, and a major plot point is her need to come to terms with a tragedy she has caused, something that makes her far stronger in the end. However it is hard rather than soft SF.

http://arcturian-spacefleet.com/

You may enjoy it anyway.

KatsInCommand
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

Have you read Leviathan Wakes by James. S. A. Corey? The main characters are both male, but they focus heavily on finding a female character who becomes pivotal to the story.

Elizabeth Moon’s Vatta Series was excellent – it’s a good mix of space opera + military sci fi.

Keeley
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

@astropolis, your series looks interesting. Thank you.

@KatsInCommand
            , I tried reading Leviathan Wakes, but I’m afraid I couldn’t get past two plot points that snapped my disbelief suspenders.

I’ll try the Vatta series. Thanks!

Author of a romance between Loki and Sigyn, a dragon shapeshifter series, and a romantic fantasy with forbidden magic and a mysterious minstrel. (More at amykeeley.wordpress.com)

Also writes space opera/sociological science fiction under the name Z.A. Waterstone. (zawaterstone.wordpress.com)

ErinMH
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

You might check out Salvage by Alexandra Duncan. It’s one of the 2014 books nominated for the Andre Norton Award. I think it hits most of what you’re looking for. It wasn’t my favorite of the books I read last year, but I do suggest people look at it for themselves.

Weird Jim
              Participant
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

Have you tried a Google search for soft Vs hard science fiction. There you may find some recommendations that will fit your requirements.

Too bad you’re looking for novels otherwise I’d recommend James Tiptree.

ErinMH
                  0 Pirate Gold Coins

Oh! Jim’s comment reminded me — Camouflage by Joe Haldeman. It takes place on Earth, but alien life . . .

Gilroy
                  Participant
                    6 Pirate Gold Coins

I’d lean toward the first like 7 books of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.
                    It’s military Space Opera, but definitely has weak to strong. Not sure about the mythology links, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.