Request: Add more variables to the HTML/BBCodes?

Home Forums House of Creativity Suggestions and Troubleshooting Request: Add more variables to the HTML/BBCodes?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MarFisk
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

I don’t know if either of these are possible (it’s a two-parter), but:

1) Could you add more BBCodes to those available? I don’t know everything that’s missing, but the table ones are (I use them to format my stats posts). Here’s an easy reference from the source: https://www.bbcode.org/reference.php

2) DELETED second part because a) The “you can use” means as well as HTML not instead of, and b) I have no idea how I got it to strip the HTML the other night, but it isn’t doing it anymore, so no issue there :).

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by MarFisk. Reason: Removed second part because of a misunderstanding

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.
      https://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com/the-steamship-chronicles/

Dreamers Cove
      Keymaster
        1 Pirate Gold Coin

Well, here we get to the issue of PHP version. I can expand the editor, or better, replace it. But it requires a newer PHP version. The new upgraded site will do just fine with the PHP upgrade, but the issue we saw on the old forum of no index will reappear. On the old site, unless a person has a bookmark to a specific topic, you will not be able to find it or get to it.

That said, this is what the site upgrade was all about. The need to upgrade not only the front-end, but also the back-end to make the site more secure, easier to use, and have the ability for better/easier upgrades in the future. I’ve imported all the old forum posts, user accounts, and such, so technically we don’t need it now.

So, question is, do we want to just go for it at this point and upgrade the PHP, even though it breaks the old forum software?

Ashe Elton Parker
          38 Pirate Gold Coins

I think if we do all that, the old address needs to point here instead of at the old site, which I presume is what will happen if we abandon the archived site.

Really, I don’t know about anybody else, but I’d be happy to have a fully updated site even if we have to drop the old site.

What the bloody frick does this new site hate about line spaces between the paragraphs so much?

And I think what’s being called BBCode is actually HTML coding

Ashe Elton Parker
          "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
          ~*~
          Member since 1998.
          ~*~
          MarFisk
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

So, question is, do we want to just go for it at this point and upgrade the PHP, even though it breaks the old forum software?

The only reason we kept the old old site live when transitioning to Joomla was because the old posts were not transferred over. I haven’t tried any of my old old links to see if that’s still humming away in the background, but with the PHP upgrades it lost the ability to add new people to the forum. If the posts are here, I see no reason to keep the Joomla site around, especially since it requires security patches all the time and is already using an obsolete version of Joomla.

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.
            https://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com/the-steamship-chronicles/

J.A. Marlow
              125 Pirate Gold Coins

All Joomla posts and users were ported over. We should be good there. At this point we could shut that down without losing anything (plus I have an archive of the database, just in case.) The big reason to keep it going for a bit was just in case anything catastrophic happened with the new site. So far things appear stable.

So, the only issue might be the old OLD site, which I don’t have the old links to. But I know how to get at least one. Hmm, might see if I can even go and look in on that. A dream would be to port some of that over, but to be honest, that would be a HUGE problem. There are no automated tools to help me, so it would be manual.

J.A. Marlow
              The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.