Planning For the Future

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad Planning For the Future

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    J.A. Marlow
      125 Pirate Gold Coins

I was going to post this in the Indie board, but then realized it applies to all of us, no matter what path we choose towards publishing. Traditional, Indie, Hybrid, it all applies.

Kris Rush is starting a series of posts about making sure your will and estate is set up for after you are gone. Copyrights are worth more than ever now. It’s important to think about how to keep your work available in the future. The literary world is rife with books that have disappeared because of either poor planning, no planning, or bad managers.

It’s giving me a lot to think about, and some of it I haven’t figured out yet. I’m hoping as she continues I’ll figure some of it out.

Anyway, it’s worth a read. The introduction came out this week with more in the series to come out over the course of about 6 months or so:

The Business Rusch: Want To Be Read 100 Years From Now? Here’s How.

J.A. Marlow
      The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

jschara
      Participant
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

This is incredible! Even if you aren’t interested for your estate, the examples provided are fascinating.

Weird Jim
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’m not sure if it applies in most of the english speaking world, but in places the dead have no rights. What a will states is the dead persons wishes, that’s how it comes about that wills can be challenged. In the great majority of the cases, however, the wishes of the deceased are followed. I doubt if I’ll have much, if anything copyright to leave, but I do have a will. I’ve noticed that Project Gutenberg has some stuff that’s more recent than the majority which is pre-1923, so maybe I’d leave them with my copyright stuff should they want it.

And now having looked up ‘the rights of dead people’ I’m quite confused.

I did like the way she pointed out that it’s story that lives, not the artistic writing. Artistic storytelling. That’s the way to go to live on.

J.A. Marlow
            125 Pirate Gold Coins

The Passive Voice caught this post and he added a few lawyerly notes to the bottom of it. His notes on the subject are worth a read even if you’ve already read the original article.

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/11/2012/want-to-be-read-100-years-from-now-heres-how/

J.A. Marlow
            The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

Liisa Elts
            Participant
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

Very interesting, not something one would wonder over often. Thank you.

Always nice to see I'm still a newbie...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.