Overdrive

Home Forums Main Lobby The Main Board Overdrive

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Weird Jim
    Participant
    • Topics - 131
    • Replies - 420

Does anybody here use Overdrive on a computer or other device? Good, bad or what?

ErinMH
    • Topics - 405
    • Replies - 10,885

Assuming you mean the Overdrive e-book/audiobook service, I do because my local library offers books through it. I use it primarily on my iPad mini. My main complaint is the search function is essentially useless — books and authors I know are there (because I’ve checked them out before) don’t show up at all, and searching on something broad, such as fantasy or magic yields varying numbers of results.

Weird Jim
    Participant
    • Topics - 131
    • Replies - 420

Perhaps there is a problem when a book is checked out or in process. Do these missing books turn up at other times.

ErinMH
    • Topics - 405
    • Replies - 10,885

Nope. My MIL says she has trouble with the search as well.

Sbarret
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 51

I just started using it on my iPhone. I got an audiobook out, and just renewed it because I hadn’t finished it. Overdrive remembered where I left off (a good thing because I didn’t think to check my place before the original checkout expired.

One drawback I noticed is that it said I had 1 day left, when really I had about 2 hours left. Shrug.

silvara
    Participant
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 48

I can’t say this is the problem, but some publishers put checkout limits on e-books purchased by libraries. So it is possible that the book you had previously checked out was no longer owned by the library and that may be why the titles no long show up when you search. Another possibility has to do with what device you are searching on. I have noticed that I can find things when on my computer than I can’t find when using the android ap. This seems to be that Overdrive automatically filters out any titles that are not compatible with the device you are searching on.

As for the search functionality: if it is an option, you might have better luck searching through your library’s catalog. At my library, we have the option to do an advanced search for just e-books. If your library has added their e-books to their catalog, that may work better for you.

ErinMH
    • Topics - 405
    • Replies - 10,885

No, I eventually found the books by finding books in the same sub-genre and clicking on their genre links, which brought up results that did not appear when I searched for Fantasy or clicked Fantasy in the menu under either e-books or audiobooks. And I was searching with the device I’d been using to listen to the audiobooks on.

As for searching through the library, that’s not an option with my library, while my mother-in-law says she has to search through the library rather than with Overdrive. Neither one of us seems satisfied with the way we have to access it.

silvara
    Participant
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 48

You should make sure to send feedback to your library and to Overdrive. They really screwed up their website a few months back when they “updated”. I had a pretty good handle on it before that. (Though I did like that it added a ‘read in browser’ option.)

The good news is that librarians are already giving feedback to Overdrive, so maybe eventually they will fix it. (Or, maybe not.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.