old newbie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    toosoonold
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 0

Hi, would like to introduce myself. I’m toosoonold. Favourite genre is fantasy. High fantasy in particular. Been stuck behind an extended “writer’s block” of 15 years. Always wrote, never published, but don’t think it’s too late. Still have the passion, but no longer the surety. One question: Do you think there’s a chance high fantasy is still viable? How does one “restart” one’s life to include a passion?
    Thank you

Magic Seeker
    • Topics - 80
    • Replies - 1,213

Hello, toosoonold. Welcome to FM!

I recently came back to writing after a long block, so I sympathize with you. It’s hard to get started again, but if you’re passionate about your story, you can do it.

I also love high fantasy. With indie publishing, we (as readers) can find it again, even though trad publishers haven’t noticed that so many people love reading it. Many writers aren’t bothering with the Big 5, and are doing well.

To restart your writing, I suggest you designate a block of time, daily if possible, but whenever it’s available, and always and only use it for writing. If you fall off your schedule, start over and try again. It takes practice, but that helped me start over.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Best of luck to you!

Happy writing,
    Deb Salisbury
    The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
    www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
    https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
    http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

J.A. Marlow
    • Topics - 311
    • Replies - 1,099

I agree with Magic Seeker. There are plenty of readers for high fantasy. So, if you want to write it, then go for it! No reason not to!

Restarting can be difficult. For some, having a dedicated small spot where only the writing happens helps. Or going to the library or coffee shop. For others, a scheduled time. The point is to train the body that when there are certain stimuli (a time, a place, a smell), that it means that it’s time to be creative.

Readers can tell when a writer is passionate about what they are writing. So, go for the passion, wherever you find it. :)

J.A. Marlow
    The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

J.A. Marlow
    • Topics - 311
    • Replies - 1,099

I agree with Magic Seeker. There are plenty of readers for high fantasy. So, if you want to write it, then go for it! No reason not to!

Restarting can be difficult. For some, having a dedicated small spot where only the writing happens helps. Or going to the library or coffee shop. For others, a scheduled time. The point is to train the body that when there are certain stimuli (a time, a place, a smell), that it means that it’s time to be creative.

Readers can tell when a writer is passionate about what they are writing. So, go for the passion, wherever you find it. :)

J.A. Marlow
    The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

astropolis
    Participant
    • Topics - 21
    • Replies - 100

I agree with that. If you have a look at my post on indie publishing you’ll see that I have decided to come back to hard SF, which was my first love, after a break.

I’ve dusted off “Run from the Stars” which I think is the very best thing I ever wrote. I’ve had a professional cover artist involved, and he’s turned my notes into an illustration that makes me want to get on board that spaceship, strap in alongside Jane (protag) and open up those engines. There’s a big galaxy out there and I’m going to see it all.

Write what you love and love what you write. Everything else will follow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.