Not really a newbie, but …

Home Forums House of Creativity Welcome Mat: The Spot for Newcomers Not really a newbie, but …

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fred Phillips
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’ve just spent about an hour racking my brain trying to remember the name of this community since I’d gotten so much out of it in the past. I actually ended up bouncing to a couple of old iterations of it before I finally found it again.

I came to and first joined the group through Holly’s site around its beginnings, wandered away for a while, wandered back, then wandered away, and so on. It’s been quite a few years since I’ve participated in the group, but I’ll hit the half-century milestone in my life this year, and I still have a burning goal that I haven’t fulfilled. That’s to see my name on the cover of a published novel (preferably in raised gold letters, but I’ll take what I can get.)

Since some of my most productive years of writing came while I was an active member of FM, I’m hoping that’s the case again this time around.

If I recall correctly, my former membership was under this screen name as well, on the off chance that anyone remembers me. In fact, whenever you see this screen name online, it’s probably me. I’ve been using it since the mid-’90s and haven’t found it taken anywhere yet (except when I’d forgotten that I already had a membership.) 🙂

Ashe Elton Parker
        38 Pirate Gold Coins

Welcome back, Fred! The main site is pretty quiet these days, except for Justin’s prompts, which are still posted daily. I keep an eye on the site, but nearly everyone else spends more time in the Discord chat. There’s a desktop app, an app for both Android and Apple devices, and a website that can be accessed if you don’t want to try out any of the apps yet; all are free to download/access. Look for Discord.com and sign up, then join Forward Motion For Writers here:

FM Discord Read First Channel

That link will bring you to the Please Read First channel in Discord. Once you’ve gone through the “anti-bot” test of choosing an emoji for your writing, you’ll have access to most of the rest of the FM server there.

Ashe Elton Parker
        "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
        ~*~
        Member since 1998.
        ~*~
        Magic Seeker
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hi Fred! Welcome back!

As Ashe said, the site is pretty quiet, but please feel free to start new topics and get us moving again. 🙂

Happy writing,
          Deb Salisbury
          The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
          www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
          https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
          http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

FadedGlory
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’m a long-absent returnee too. So I’ve read Fred’s post and the replies.
            Like him I got lots out of this site but haven’t been here in years.
            Sorry to hear it’s not used much any longer.
            Do I need another password to use the Discord site?

Magic Seeker
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hi FadedGlory! Welcome back!

It looks like you’ll need a new account, but I didn’t go past the welcome screen. It does appear to have more activity, though.

Have fun!

Happy writing,
              Deb Salisbury
              The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
              www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
              https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
              http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

Ashe Elton Parker
                38 Pirate Gold Coins

The Discord site/app (on computer and phone) require a FREE signup. Once you do that, look for the server Forward Motion for Writers and join, this will take you to our Welcome Channel. You’ll have to choose a status, but once you’ve done that, you should be able to join the chatting in a separate channel.

FWIW, Discord is pretty user-friendly and easy to learn. One of the good things is that it’s got full functionality for nonpaying members. It offers special perks for those who are willing to pay, but the perks aren’t absolutely necessary for participation.

Here’s a link to the FM Discord Server: https://discord.gg/KkbvxXpP8Y

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Ashe Elton Parker. Reason: Added Link
                Ashe Elton Parker
                "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
                ~*~
                Member since 1998.
                ~*~
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.