New, All Over Again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wrtrmaus
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

Once upon a time, I was a member, and quite active. Then I disappeared for quite some time, obviously, since I had to recreate my account. I have recently left my full-time job and have a pipe dream of freelancing full-time. I have freelanced on-and-off for quite a while, but now, with plenty of time on my hands, I am floundering and having a hard time getting anything out the door, because I’ve managed to convince myself that I’m probably not good enough.

I’m hoping to find my rhythm soon, and to become active here again.

Thanks.

Ashe Elton Parker
        38 Pirate Gold Coins

welcome back, wrtrmaus!

The reason why you had to recreate your account is because the site moved to a new forum back in 2012, so all us regulars had to create new accounts.

Good luck with the full-time freelancing goal! I hope you’re able to shake the “not good enough” cloud well enough to write again. As a suggestion, you may try reading through your projects from years ago with a mind toward deciding which ones to work on or use as the basis of new, better projects. Whatever you do, keep in mind that writing doesn’t improve without practice (like any skill), and start putting words down on something.

:)

Ashe Elton Parker
        "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
        ~*~
        Member since 1998.
        ~*~
        wrtrmaus
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

Thank you for the welcome and the advice, Ashe. I have been getting some words down every day, but none of them feel strong enough to turn into a query or essay, or anything else at the moment. I think I need to push past the self-doubt and start racking up rejections for a while, so that I have even the possibility of an acceptance.

J.A. Marlow
            125 Pirate Gold Coins

Tell that critical voice to shut up! You have writing to do and no time for its whining. :P

Welcome back to FM!

J.A. Marlow
            The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

Magic Seeker
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hi wrtrmaus. Welcome back! :)

I hope freelancing works out for you. You really are good enough!

Happy writing,
              Deb Salisbury
              The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
              www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
              https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
              http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

ErinMH
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

Welcome back!

Yeah, that Imposter Syndrome is awful, and pretty much the only way to deal with it is to ignore it completely and work as if it’s not there.

I was reading a blog post by Kameron Hurley today, and part of it really struck a chord:

Quote:
                The trouble is, the more writers I talk to, the more I realize that this objectivity about the “goodness” of one’s books actually gets worse as you level up, not better. That’s because as you become a technically more skilled writer, you’re able to see more of the things that aren’t working.

Yep. That feeling that you’re not getting everything right isn’t going to go away. All you can do is write and put it out there for others to judge (and hopefully pay for!).

Good luck!

J.A. Marlow
                  125 Pirate Gold Coins

Oh yeah. I have a bad case of Impostor Syndrome. That voice gets really really loud!

J.A. Marlow

Klara Kim
                  Participant
                    0 Pirate Gold Coins

Welcome back! I agree with Erin’s thoughts on the Imposter Syndrome. Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and see what happens.

wrtrmaus
                    Participant
                      0 Pirate Gold Coins

Thank you, everyone. I know I need to simply put myself out there, and see what happens. I’m just having trouble hitting “send” on anything at the moment.

J.A. Marlow
                        125 Pirate Gold Coins

You can do iiiiiiit. :D

J.A. Marlow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.