my cats are, like, playing chess with me and i’m losing :(

Home Forums Main Lobby The Main Board my cats are, like, playing chess with me and i’m losing :(

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael E. Walston
    Participant
    • Topics - 38
    • Replies - 182

i have 5 kitties, the females are seemingly content but the 2 boys have recently taken to meowing piteously at the door in the morning to be let out. we’ve been here for 2 years and up till now they’ve been fine. the thing is, i am in an RV park where pets are not supposed to run free. how do you get a concept like that across to a cat? it really bothers me that they don’t care about waking me up any more, it feels like being betrayed. i am not proud to admit that i smacked Oscar most smartly this morning but it didn’t phase him at all, stubborn little bastard. i don’t want to get rid of these cats; i love them. but i have got to get me some sleep.

what should i do?

Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 475
    • Replies - 9,558

Are the males fixed yet? If they aren’t, they may be responding to female cats in heat outside.

Ashe Elton Parker
    "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Look me up on Wattpad for some of my books!
    MarFisk
    • Topics - 572
    • Replies - 15,628

Behavior changes are caused by something. Check litterbox behavior, though Ashe’s right it could be a female in heat just moved in.

If you changed their food or litter or got lax on switching out the old, they may be seeking the outdoors for food supply or less stink.

Or, a family of field mice might have taken up residence under your RV.

I’ll tell you in advance this is an exercise in patience, but they do make cat leashes. Maybe take them for a ramble and see what they’re trying to tell you?

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.
    https://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com/the-steamship-chronicles/

Gilroy
    Participant
    • Topics - 25
    • Replies - 146

Ear plugs and a squirt bottle are your friends in this respect.

Course my five feline overlords still wake me if I sleep in too long… Even if I don’t get to bed until 3 am, I HAVE to be up by 6…

Michael E. Walston
    Participant
    • Topics - 38
    • Replies - 182

it might be time to change the litter again. thing is, they’ve gotten used to being let outside so even with new litter i’m afraid they consider the “annoying meow” gambit as the “new normal”.

zette
    • Topics - 583
    • Replies - 887

Everyone here has had good advice — including the squirt bottle. I’ve used that to train cats away from some behaviors.

And can you please start using capital letters in your writing? We try to look professional on this site. You want to impress future readers!

Michael E. Walston
    Participant
    • Topics - 38
    • Replies - 182

I like the squirt gun idea. :) Oscar seems to think he’s got it all worked out as far as manipulating me goes but now he’s going to get a surprise! Love it, thanks for the suggestion.

Bobby is not such a hard case. He meows plaintively but not obnoxiously, and he’s a bit persistent, but this morning I managed to outwait him… When he realized I was just going to ignore him he came and snuggled up to me…

…and slept through the rest of the day like a normal damned cat…

Michael E. Walston
    Participant
    • Topics - 38
    • Replies - 182

The males are both “fixed” (odd turn of phrase, that–as if when they can reproduce they are “broken”; I realize that’s a common way of naming the procedure, but really, “neutering” and “castrating” are both more accurate labels).

On the other hand I’ve been a bit lax with the ladies since they are mostly indoor cats. Yet Muffin appears to be pregnant again, though she doesn’t get out much–but apparently one night out was all she needed!

MarFisk
    • Topics - 572
    • Replies - 15,628

They’re “fixed” to human specifications :p.

And that may be the answer. They may feel their territory was impinged on and want to find the fellow and take him out.

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.

MarFisk
    • Topics - 572
    • Replies - 15,628

Oh, yeah, you have to act before you give in. Retraining is much harder. Good luck.

Michael E. Walston
    Participant
    • Topics - 38
    • Replies - 182

I knew that but I did give in. But, wow, the water splashing thing has worked wonders. :) There was a fun, comical interlude this morning; he’s a good cat, and when he saw I meant business, he caved.

But really, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a cat to want to go outside. It’s just that the doggoned trailer park “rules” forbid it. :(

Edited to add:

Before I came to North Carolina I was living on a nice acre or so of rural Florida land in Clay County with woods nearby where I and my kitties used to take leisurely walks. Oscar and Bobby were both with me then, as was Angel, so they probably remember when times were different. Those were sweet times.

But who really knows what a cat remembers or thinks about?

MarFisk
    • Topics - 572
    • Replies - 15,628

Hugs. Yes, new rules are always tough. But yay that they were so responsive :).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.