Music and Writing

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad Music and Writing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ashe Elton Parker
      38 Pirate Gold Coins

1) Do you listen to music for inspiration in your writing?

2) If so, when do you listen?

3) Do you listen to the radio, canned music on your computer, or some other way, like Youtube playlists or Spotify or Pandora?

4) Do you build playlists for your writing, and if so, how do you go about doing so? What are you looking for when you create your playlists?

Ashe Elton Parker
      "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
      ~*~
      Member since 1998.
      ~*~
      Ashe Elton Parker
        38 Pirate Gold Coins

I’ll start this off.

Quote:

I do. Music has always inspired my writing. Sometimes, so much so that I strongly associate a particular song with a particular story or character.

Quote:

I listen to music pretty much all the time, whether or not I’m actively writing. I listen when I’m out and about on an mp3 player and when I’m reading.

Quote:
        3) Do you listen to the radio, canned music on your computer, or some other way, like Youtube playlists or Spotify or Pandora?

I listen to the radio in the shower and in vehicles if the driver wants to. At home, I have Microsoft Groove, where I’ve got a few thousand songs saved to listen, and I pay a about $10.00 or so to have the privilege; as I listen to music nearly all the time, I find this a small price to pay, when I’d probably spend just as much or more every month buying music from Amazon. I used to listen to Pandora on occasion, but they ticked me off recently, so I moved to Spotify, and I’m happy with the move (I’m alshelton13 with the same profile pic as here on there if you listen there and want to find me).

Quote:
        4) Do you build playlists for your writing, and if so, how do you go about doing so? What are you looking for when you create your playlists?

I do create playlists for my writing. I really do best if I let songs randomly play on a general playlist of some sort, either on my Daily list on Groove or on one of the stations I listen to on Spotify; the one time I purposely looked for songs to put on a playlist (I had a number in mind for a standalone novel), I couldn’t stand to listen to the playlist for a good quarter to a third of the novel anyway (had no problem with the songs in random play, just with the particular combination of them on the story’s playlist).

When I build a playlist, I look for songs that evoke thoughts on particular characters, their emotions or thoughts or actions, or other events in the book. Often, a particular song will call to mind a brand new scene. These songs need not have lyrics; all they must do is cause me to think about the story in question in some way. With songs that do have lyrics, I don’t require the entire song to fit any particular characteristic of the story it applies to, and often it’ll inspire me based primarily on a single lyric or two, or maybe just the chorus.

Ashe Elton Parker
        "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
        ~*~
        Member since 1998.
        ~*~
        jameskearl
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins
          Quote:

I listen to music, but not specifically for inspiration.

Quote:

I almost always listen to music when I’m writing at home, and often when I’m in a coffee shop or a write-in with other writers.

Quote:

All the music I own (more than 30,000 songs) is loaded in iTunes at home. I keep the most recent albums on an iPod for listening when I’m away from home.

Quote:

During Nanowrimo I make a playlist of all the current year’s music and listen to these in random order.

crimson_angel
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins
            Quote:

I listen to music when I’m writing to either set the mood or for inspiration. However, I can’t listen to music while editing b/c it distracts me too much.

Quote:

All. The. Time.

Quote:

Mostly stuff on iTunes, but I will veer off into Spotify to research new bands/singers before buying anything.

Quote:

I used to. Nowadays I really don’t, but I usually have the theme song for the book, the world (if it’s not ours), and the MCs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.