Misspellings

Home Forums Main Lobby The Main Board Misspellings

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 422
    • Replies - 9,193

Who here has never misnamed or misspelled the name of a character, landmark, or city in your writing?

I’ll admit it. Some of my characters and places and landmarks have the names they have because halfway through a wip, I forgot the original spelling somehow. Some of these names have three or four variations. And one character, Farrillan, ended up with a name combining both versions of his name (Farrilan/Farillan) because I was too lazy to look back through the wip to find out what version he’d started out with once I realized I’d been switching back and forth between them and I couldn’t at the time find the notebook I’d originally recorded the name in.

Ashe Elton Parker
    "There's someone in my head, but it's not me." ~ from the song Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Look me up on Wattpad for some of my books!
    MarFisk
    • Topics - 558
    • Replies - 15,534

One of the last things I do before declaring my first edit pass complete is look at the custom spelling dictionary and review it for multiple spellings. This saves me beautifully for SF, fantasy, alt-world…but for my contemporary and historicals? I have to keep better track. You’d think it easier, but there are way too many ways to spell names that are all correct!

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.
    https://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com/the-steamship-chronicles/

zette
    • Topics - 580
    • Replies - 886

These days I keep an Excel sheet open and try to remember to update it. This helps me not only keep names right, but remember places, ranks, and even injuries. Also, if I start to give some the same name, the autocomplete kicks in and I can see that I will want a different version. I can’t say I’m really good at keeping this up, but it does help.

characterlist.jpg

djmills
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 185

I love Find & Replace in Word. eg: find “Far*” and replace with “Farillan” using “Replace” or “Find Next”

djmills
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 185

I love your spreadsheet. I use one for each story, so I can quickly check description when using repeat characters, places, events. Fun! :-)

Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 422
    • Replies - 9,193

This was written longhand, before I got a computer. LOL

Ashe Elton Parker
    "There's someone in my head, but it's not me." ~ from the song Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Look me up on Wattpad for some of my books!
    MarFisk
    • Topics - 558
    • Replies - 15,534

Hmm, interesting idea, Zette. It especially helps for where people show up, but it would be a pain to maintain.

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.

zette
    • Topics - 580
    • Replies - 886

Actually, as long as you have it open while you write and just remember to jot information down as it happens, it’s not so bad. I used to have an Access Based one that had far more information — and for that reason, I didn’t bother to update it often. This one is simple.

MarFisk
    • Topics - 558
    • Replies - 15,534

Yeah, well, I write on a variety of devices, including my phone, so having it open isn’t really feasible. This is how my stuff ends up out of sync, and then updating it is a crisis. I’m using Aeon Timeline for much of this, but it’s only on my PCs, so…

zette
    • Topics - 580
    • Replies - 886

Many of my stories take place in one of two story universes (Inner Worlds Council for science fiction and Tales from Another Place for fantasy), so I want to have the names of people, places, and even things that might turn up again in another place. Since I have a column for that tag, it makes it easy.

zette
    • Topics - 580
    • Replies - 886

That makes sense. I do almost all of my writing at my desk, and even when I use my Nook, I am quick to transfer it over and into place, so this works well for me.

BJ Steeves
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 26

Maybe using a “cloud” storage such as dropbox to keep you tracking file in. If you then update that file, any device which can attach to it will all have access to the same information, keeping everything in sync.

I use it and my smartphone, tablet and 2 PC’s all have access to the same files that way.

Your mileage may vary, as they say…..

Happy Writing!!!

===============================================

BJ Steeves
    Computer Wizard at Large

Member of Forward Motion since the original site had only 300 members. (That is a while ago!!!)

MarFisk
    • Topics - 558
    • Replies - 15,534

I make notes in Scrivener and pass them to the next book when I start writing it. Where things get confused is when I’ve written book 2 and then change something in book 1 during editing. I need to work out a viable system, but right now I just go back and find the info in the books most of the time. It may be related to my hatred of writing series :). Which is a lie because I enjoy my characters too much to let them go, but I do miss the simplicity of everything being new each time I start.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.