Medical Advice: Need Medical Condition Ideas

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad Medical Advice: Need Medical Condition Ideas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    J.A. Marlow
      125 Pirate Gold Coins

In my new series, one book will feature a man who is in a wheelchair. However, he’s not completely paralyzed. They do have movement and feeling, but the legs don’t have the strength to hold him up.

Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of medical condition this could be that would allow him to live well into adulthood, as well as having been married and have a child?

Any ideas is appreciated!

J.A. Marlow
      The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

MarFisk
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

Funny you ask :p. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome is a variant of hypermobility that affects all the joints slowly rendering them incapable of staying in position and so restricting sufferers to wheelchairs or power chairs. Here’s a little about it: http://edsresearch.org/

If you stop by the goals board, you can see it in action :p. I’m to the point where I can still walk with extensive bracing, but not for long and not without consequences :p. I am 47 (well into adulthood?) and have two adult children. However, it’s genetic, so that needs to be taken into account. For a male to be severely effected is rarer, though apparently not as rare if he isn’t white. My youngest son is fine. My older is hypermobile for sure and has experienced joint pain since puberty as I did, though not to the degree as I did, so I have hopes he’ll never deteriorate. Not all sufferers do, and they don’t know enough to determine exactly why it varies.

Don’t know if that is useful, but if it is and you want more, you know where to find me :).

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.
        https://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com/the-steamship-chronicles/

Chaos
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

Sounds a lot like President Roosevelt – the second one. He suffered from Polio, didn´t he?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.