March Madness is coming!

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad March Madness is coming!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    MarFisk
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

Thanks :). I have to get it ready in time for Camp NaNo. I’m not going for the 50k as much as I’d love to gain that much, but I do want enough outline to get me to where I need to be :).

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.
      https://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com/the-steamship-chronicles/

zette
        126 Pirate Gold Coins

I think somewhere along the way I forgot to add a day in or something. I know I wrote every day on it, though!

MarFisk
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

And you got a great bit of progress too :).

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.

zette
            126 Pirate Gold Coins

I did! And the great news is that it brought me finally back to the outline, which I will be using for Camp NaNo. There are two important new items that are not in the outline, and they’ll affect how things go. I am looking forward to seeing how it all moves together now.

zette
              126 Pirate Gold Coins

I did! And the great news is that it brought me finally back to the outline, which I will be using for Camp NaNo. There are two important new items that are not in the outline, and they’ll affect how things go. I am looking forward to seeing how it all moves together now.

MarFisk
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

This is why I don’t understand how people can find an outline takes the joy out of the story, but I’m guessing they don’t outline like you and I do :).

Ashe Elton Parker
                  38 Pirate Gold Coins

I know, for me, when I used to pants exclusively and before I came to accept that outlines might help me, I used to feel as if the story was already told if I made an outline of it, and I never got around to writing it.

Ashe Elton Parker
                  "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
                  ~*~
                  Member since 1998.
                  ~*~
                  MarFisk
                    0 Pirate Gold Coins

Speaking as someone who has a ton of partial outlines…that could be a possibility, but if the story comes alive, there’s no stopping it for me.

Ashe Elton Parker
                      38 Pirate Gold Coins

I think my main issue with outlines was that I wasn’t experienced enough with writing–to begin with–to know what all needed to be in the story. The stories I pantsed at the time were basically glorified candybar-scene outlines. Some were more detailed and “fuller” than others, none of them really match the depth of characterization and worldbuilding I achieve nowadays. I tended to create mary sue/gary stu characters and worlds that were too perfect and write only the clearest scenes that I had in mind, instead of taking the time to really suss out my characters’ personalities and fill in the details of the worlds and be patient enough to realize the interim scenes I wasn’t writing.

Ashe Elton Parker
                      "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
                      ~*~
                      Member since 1998.
                      ~*~
                      MarFisk
                        0 Pirate Gold Coins

Well, that’s basically the definition of my outlines :). They’re narrative in nature, just more summary narrative, but it’s one of the reasons I never understood candybar scenes since mine has to come together in order or the instinctive seeding is all messed up :).

Ashe Elton Parker
                          38 Pirate Gold Coins

Ah, I’ve always written with candybar scenes in mind. It’s heightened with outlines, because I get a clearer view of the scenes I look forward to.

Ashe Elton Parker
                          ~*~
                          Member since 1998.
                          ~*~
                          MarFisk
                            0 Pirate Gold Coins

I write for the story. There’s something unique about each scene, and if there isn’t, I need to figure out what’s missing or toss the scene :).

BonnieRS
                            Participant
                              0 Pirate Gold Coins

I can very easily kill a story by putting too much effort into an outline.

For me, it’s a kind of cycle–I get to know my characters by what they do, and then what they do influences who they are and what they do next. So if I try to go in and pin the events to the board too soon, I no longer have room to know them as people and instead find myself pushing cardboard around in service of arbitrary events.

BonnieRS
                              Participant
                                0 Pirate Gold Coins

The lovely shiny new idea still has lots of potential, but it’s still too unformed to let me generate many words. I got about 3-4,000 words of brainstorming and ideas, much of it in graphics and diagrams. I’m thinking maybe for NaNoWriMo in November, if I decide to do it this year.

Ashe Elton Parker
                                  38 Pirate Gold Coins

That would have been the case for me a few years ago, Bonnie, but something clicked in my creative mind when I was writing the gay romances. With the detail of my outlines, I’m able to effectively “map” a plot out because I have a very strong concept of most of my characters from their conception.

But that’s not to say you should use my method. I understand that every writer is different and that different mehods work for different writers at different times. :)

Ashe Elton Parker
                                  ~*~
                                  Member since 1998.
                                  ~*~
                                Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.