Hello! – Is this the site for me?

Home Forums Main Lobby Welcome Mat: The Spot for Newcomers Hello! – Is this the site for me?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    drode
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 1

Hello, all!

For as long as I can recall, I’ve known I should write. However, knowing and doing are not the same thing. I’ve dabbled with essays and short stories over the years, but I’ve never completed anything. More accurately, I’ve not produced anything I was satisfied with. I’ve not had sufficient time nor energy to drive something from idea to completion. I’m at a point now where I believe I can commit enough to writing and finally make some progress.

While publication is my ultimate goal, it’s not my immediate concern. My first priority is to complete the short story I’m working on now. I wrote it initially in 2007 and set it aside. I felt then, as I do now, that the idea was solid and some the text was good, but it needed quite a bit of work. My near term goal is to make this story as complete and polished as I am capable. This is an exercise in writing to upgrade and hone my skills as much as it is to finish the story.

I stumbled upon this site looking for tips on writing short stories. I’ve yet to find the article I was looking for, however, the community here is intriguing and so here I am. I’m not sure if I fit here or not. (I did find “Writing Short” by Zette.) My writing experience is minimal and publication is a distant goal, so I wonder if my arrival here is somewhat misplaced or, perhaps, premature.

Regardless, I think I’d like to stick around and lurk for a while :)

In case it’s not clear from my profile, my name is Dan and I’m a fledgling writer.

Magic Seeker
    • Topics - 80
    • Replies - 1,210

Hello Dan. Welcome to FM!

I don’t write shorts, so I’m no help, but you might find what you’re looking for in back issues of Zette’s ezine, Vision: A Resource for Writers.
    http://visionforwriters.com/vision/

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Happy writing,
    Deb Salisbury
    The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
    www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
    https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
    http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 422
    • Replies - 9,195

Heyo, Dan!

Magic Seeker’s suggestion is a good one. Also, don’t be afraid to speak up. If you have a quesiton, post it on the boards, or, (horrors!) make a visit to chat to ask. There are several people who either write shorts exclusively or write them along with longer works, and we’re all generally pretty happy to help newbie writers however we can.

Here are some direct links that may help you reach your goal:

Writing-Related Questions Board (Can be found in under the Main Lobby board.)

Techniques Board (Can be found under the Craft, Skills, and Techniques of Writing board.)

Writing Short: A Four-Part Class in Writing Short Stories (Though it’s an old class that hasn’t been reposted for a couple years, it’s a good one and it can be found under the Workshops and Classes board.)

I hope these help! And pop into chat anytime, even if you don’t have any quesitons!

Ashe Elton Parker
    "There's someone in my head, but it's not me." ~ from the song Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Look me up on Wattpad for some of my books!
    astropolis
    Participant
    • Topics - 21
    • Replies - 100

Hi there.

I’m Bob and I usually write SF novels but I’ve had some shorts published.

You’ll find lots of people on here who can help. Just believe in yourself and keep writing.

J.A. Marlow
    • Topics - 311
    • Replies - 1,099

There are many here who write shorter works, so you are in good company.:)

Don’t forget the value of new words. Sure, go ahead and polish up the old story, but also start a new one. As with other things in life, one gets better the more one practices. For writers, that means more writing!

J.A. Marlow
    The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

KatsInCommand
    Participant
    • Topics - 75
    • Replies - 1,263

Hi Dan. Welcome to FM. Shorts are So. Much. Fun.

Let us know if you have specific questions or just browse the boards. Are you looking for book recommendations at all? Good luck with your stories.

drode
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 1

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the tips and encouragement.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.