Hello All

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cnk521
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hey everyone, I’m fairly new to the writing world and stumbled across this site. Finally, I’ve found people like me. I just recently started writing for publication ( YA fantasy ) and am in deperate need of feedback and just general literary information. Happy wishes and good luck to my fellow writers. :cheer:

leelee
      Participant
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hello! I’m also fairly new to the writing world, working on a second draft of my first novel. I also write YA fantasy!

cnk521
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

Thats great. I’ m starting to think i was a little too excited and joined before i completed my novel. Im available if you ever need a sounding board. Is it ok to ask how long your novel is?

J.A. Marlow
            125 Pirate Gold Coins

Hello cnk521! You found a great place to learn and move forward on your writing (hence the name of the site). I see you are already posting, which is great! by all means ask questions and jump right into the conversations. Let us know if you need any help finding something.

Welcome to FM!

J.A. Marlow
            The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

J.A. Marlow
              125 Pirate Gold Coins

And another newbie! Hello leelee!

It’s great that you’ve finished your first draft. So many writers never get to that point, so you’ve already hit a big milestone!

And while revision is very important, don’t fall into the trap of only revising while forgetting to write new words. You learn different things with each process. Keep learning and apply it to new writing. Then also learn the skills needed to do a good revision without the prose losing your voice (Your ‘voice’ will likely be invisible to you, as it’s what you sound like to yourself. What is boring to you may be the exact ‘voice’ that is so appealing to readers.) So, be careful.

You may want to check out Roving Crits to see the writing of others and what critiques they are getting. Maybe even join in. In my early days, I learned a lot by doing crits: the process of reading and if a part bothered you, or that you really liked, then figuring out why. Then articulating it.

So many ways to learn. :) Welcome to FM!

J.A. Marlow
              The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

leelee
              Participant
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

I finished the first draft during NaNo, so it was 51,000 words. I’m currently working through plotting better and added more scenes (most still need to fleshed out) and cut a lot. I don’t have a word goal, other than over 50,000. I’m just trying to get the second draft to be better than the first :)

Magic Seeker
                  0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hi cnk521 and Leelee! Welcome to FM!

Happy writing,
                  Deb Salisbury
                  The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
                  www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
                  https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
                  http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.