Feedback on homepage

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad Feedback on homepage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Liisa Elts
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

I am currently working on my homepage and have finished most of the visual side on it. So now I’m in the point, where I need feedback about how it looks to others. Too mottled? Too plain? Too complicated? Too easy? Slow to upload? Something doesn’t upload (except if you go clicking on the character images – I’ve finished – for now – only Conall Lands characters)? Does the planet gif play?

The homepage should be viewable on all devices, so shouldn’t matter if you open it in notepad, laptop, PC or mobile.

Here’s the address:
      https://lcaisling.wordpress.com

Have fun!

Always nice to see I'm still a newbie...

Magic Seeker
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

It looks great, overall. My old eyes have trouble with the blue and brown titles against the mottling, but the green titles work for me. Of course, the two green titles are uppercase, and that helps them stand out.

Planet gif? Do you mean the circle with your initial? Otherwise, I don’t see a planet.

I hope this helps. :)

Happy writing,
        Deb Salisbury
        The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
        www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
        https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
        http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

ConnieCockrell
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

I love the site. It looks clean and uncluttered and all of the links I tried, opened and opened quickly. Well done!

macaroni_thief
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

The website looks great! I agree that it’s not cluttered and is clear and attractive.

I did have a problem opening it on my android phone, but it could be just the phone. I will try it out on my tablet to see…

I noticed that you chose WordPress as a host. Did you consider other hosting sites before choosing? (I’m wavering between a couple myself).

Liisa Elts
            Participant
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

I looked through Squarspace, domain.google, web.com and few others and to me the most important factor was how much space they would offer for smallest amount. With Squarspace the amount of Gb were nice, but the minus factor was that it offered up to max 20 pages per site, which, considering the plan, would not do. Although it was my first choice. None of the sites actually talk about such minor details unless you go into their fine text and read through the contracts.

Second important point was how available their support services is to country where I’m from (thus Estonia). Some said straight on that they have nothing more than help page for outside US and that cut them out of the choice. I chose WP, because despite being a bit higher per year than others, it does have support system should I ever choose to go on paid option.

Also, the fact that you can build up the homepage as blog for free over long time period without paying while others give you a month for testing theirs out and THEN go to paid account and just re-register the blog under your domain name as your homepage is mightily attempting. Especially if you are doing it alone and you need a lot of time.

Not to mention if you have rudimentary knowledge of HTML and CSS then WP blogging system is far easier to handle than spending most of your time building up a homepage on a web building program and searching mistakes you made out of your own lack of knowledge. Which I did for for few pages before, which ran out eventually, because I couldn’t get any of them so far that it would work properly.

What problem did you have when you tried it on android phone? Slow? Something didn’t load?

Always nice to see I'm still a newbie...

macaroni_thief
              Participant
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

When I wasn’t on WiFi it wouldn’t load for me, but connected to my WiFi it came up fast, no problem. I think it might just be a quirk of my phone…

Thanks for explaining your experiences with other hosting sites.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.