Erin’s 2014 reading list

Home Forums Main Lobby The Reading Room Erin’s 2014 reading list

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ErinMH
    • Topics - 405
    • Replies - 10,885

Beat my 52 book goal for 2013, so upping the goal slightly to 64.

ErinMH
    • Topics - 405
    • Replies - 10,885

A marvelous second book by Gladstone, set in the same world as THREE PARTS DEAD, with all new characters in a different city with a different crisis. This book again blends magic in an alternate version of our world with legal shenanigans and contracts, along with the ticking time bomb of a thriller. This time, the action takes place in the Quechual city of Dresediel Lex, with a Deathless head of a Concern, the last Eagle Knight who served the fallen gods, a mysterious and possibly dangerous woman, demons in the water supply, and more. As a child of the West, I loved the discussion of water rights, of moving water from lakes far distant to support a too-large city, and of how long even that could be useful.

This book was even better than his first, and I’m looking forward to Gladstone’s next.

ErinMH
    • Topics - 405
    • Replies - 10,885

I’m really not sold on the New 52, but I pick up trades when the library has them because I’ve lived with these characters all my life and I want to see a little of what’s going on in their lives. This volume brought us a lot of ego, some beautiful art, glimpses of the past for some of the characters, and the beginning of the Superman-Wonder Woman romance. Oddly enough, I think I like the Justice League Dark better thn what I’ve seen of this incarnation of the Justic League.

ErinMH
    • Topics - 405
    • Replies - 10,885

Spent two evenings reading this to my kids. They loved every moment, every picture, every embellishment of this shaggy-dog-esque tale. From being kidnapped by aliens to stealing a god’s emerald eye, every bit of adventure and fun is laugh-out-loud funny. My daughter appreciated the ponies; I found the wumpires hilarious. A quick, light read, definitely enjoyable for the entire family.

(“What is it,” my son asks, “with naming things after aunts?”)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.