East Coast Storm – Positive Thoughts

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad East Coast Storm – Positive Thoughts

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Claire
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

We made out pretty good, didn’t even loose power at home. Daycare lost power, they are still out so baby is home today (along with hubs). Locally my town is number 3 for power outages, behind the city and a lake side town. Some pretty big trees came down, but we’ve had worse tree damage from ice storms than sandy.

KatsInCommand
      Participant
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

Parts of Brooklyn are improving. We got power back yesterday and the water heater was repaired this morning. The joy of a hot shower!

But we still have work to do in the basement – we took in about 4 inches of water. Now we go on mold-murdering duty and furniture restoration.

Going through this has definitely been a growing experience.

ErinMH
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

We lost power about 11 p.m. Monday. Still not back — no power, no Internet, no phone. Kev’s got power at work, but theclasses are canceled, so son and I are hanging out here with Kevin today. Warmth! Light! Connection to the outside world! Girl’s daycare had power restored yesterday, so she’s there today, safe and sound and with at least a couple friends to play with. No idea at this point when we’ll have power, boy will have school, or Kevin will have classes.

Other than power, though, we only lost a couple branches from the maple, which isn’t bad at all. Our neighbors had one of their pines uprooted.

jschara
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

Glad you have alternatives while you await power restoration, but I hope it’s back quickly.

jschara
            Participant
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

Ugh!

ErinMH
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hooray for power and hot water! Hugs on the basement.

Suelder
                Participant
                  0 Pirate Gold Coins

We got hit pretty hard, but by some stroke of luck, I never lost power.

My mom, brother’s family and sister’s family are still without power, but they’ve got generators. The biggest problem right now is finding gasoline for the generators, but there’s word that that’ll get better, soon.

Suelder
                  in Northern NJ

KatsInCommand
                  Participant
                    0 Pirate Gold Coins

It’s pretty crazy trying to find fuel. I have to take a taxi to the airport tomorrow because the family vehicle is too low on fuel and we haven’t been able to locate a station in the area with fuel. They’re going to wait it out and hope they don’t have to go anywhere before then…

Suelder
                    Participant
                      0 Pirate Gold Coins

Try http://www.gasbuddy.com
                      You put in a zip code and it’ll tell you when someone checked in. Sometimes it says there’s a 3 hour wait, sometimes not.

If it’s been 19 hours since someone checked in, they’re probably out of gas.

Suelder

ErinMH
                        0 Pirate Gold Coins

Glad to hear you didn’t lose power. Yes, I hear gas availability should improve.

J.A. Marlow
                          125 Pirate Gold Coins

Yikes! I hadn’t heard about the gas shortages. Be careful!

J.A. Marlow
                          The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

Wandering Author
                          Participant
                            0 Pirate Gold Coins

The storm wasn’t that bad where I am – lots of small branches down, some big ones, and a few trees, but nothing cataclysmic… but we lost power. Most of the town had power, but we lost it. Whenever either major street we’re connected to loses power, we go down. When the other end of town loses power, and everyone in between has it… we go down.

At least we were able to store much of our perishable food in a friend’s refrigerator so it wouldn’t spoil. And we did get power back sooner than we did last year. My cats were a bit frenzied Monday and Tuesday – they could tell there was a severe storm out there, and then their routine got disrupted, and that had them both stressed out. But we’re all okay, I’m just out of sorts. All the little details just kept me from getting anything done, and now I’m trying to catch up.

I don’t mean to say it’s nearly as bad as it is for those of you in New Jersey or New York – it isn’t, not even close. And I’m truly sorry for all you’re going through. I can’t explain why (my top theories are that it has something to do with the death of my father in August, and the six week long bronchitis that followed, or that I’m coming down with something new) but in spite of the fact this storm caused less problems than either half of last year’s two-in-a-row of Irene and the October Snow, I was coping better then than I am now. I feel pretty stupid about it :blush: but I’m just thoroughly out of sorts this time. So please forgive me my mini-rant.

ErinMH
                              0 Pirate Gold Coins

Aw, sorry to hear you’re having such a rough time of it. You’ve had a lot to deal with this year, though, so it’s completely understandable. Hope life gets settled down for you soon.

jschara
                              Participant
                                0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’m sometimes surprised by how a lot of little things that I think wouldn’t bother me really DO bother me — in ways I don’t anticipate. And they add up. So, yes, I think I understand. I hope things smooth out for you soon.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.