E_Finley’s 2018 reading list

Home Forums Main Lobby The Reading Room E_Finley’s 2018 reading list

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    E_Finley
    Participant
    • Topics - 24
    • Replies - 226

I’m making a goal to read more this year. I’ve recently read and what I liked about them:

Steamship Chronicles 1-3 Steampunk
    These books are one long story and don’t really work as stand-alones, so I’m glad I got all three.
    I like that the emotions feel authentic and the characters have positive motivations. It feels like a romance without the romance.

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman – Military Sf
    I read this because my husband said it was really good and I had to. I spent most of the book thinking, “It’s OK, but I don’t see how it’s really good,” but he was right.
    This book is better after you’ve finished reading it. Meaning: it’s a decent and fast-paced read, but taken chapter by chapter it’s a bit bleak. There’s a strong theme that sneaks up on you and the ending made me cry. I love this book and highly recommend it. (Not for kids).

E_Finley
    Participant
    • Topics - 24
    • Replies - 226

The Flowers of Vashnoi by Lois McMaster Bujold – Space opera novella
    It was nice to see Miles again, but it’s not from his pov. I’m not a big fan of the Enrique character. It was worth reading, because I’ve read everything else in this series, but not amazing.

E_Finley
    Participant
    • Topics - 24
    • Replies - 226

Vizions of the future – Sf short stories

Sergeant Rick was my favorite of the stories in this book.

I couldn’t make it through the first page of The Brain Machine. The writing was too dense (as in closely packed), but that is probably just personal preference.

I loved Sylvan Chains, even though I felt that it could have used another edit. There were redundant words and information could have been dropped in better places. It felt like a small part of a much bigger story and I would have liked to see what happened before and after.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.