Buying a Writing Book for a Teenager

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad Buying a Writing Book for a Teenager

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Linda Adams
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

My niece wants to be a writer, so I was thinking of buying her a book on writing. She’s 12, so almost a teenager and quite a bit unfocused (I’m afraid she seems to have inherited that part of the family!). I’m looking for a title of a book that would give her good information and be fun, not lay down “the rulez.” Writing at that age should be about fun and dreaming about publication. Any suggestions?

Soren_Ringh
      Participant
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hi Linda. I came across a book a few months back that you may want to consider.

First let me say that there are two aspects. The first and most important, I believe, are learning storytelling, and then the avenue a given individual wishes to pursue, whether that be writing, script, graphic novel, etc. Learning the concepts of story are the most important I believe.

That said, if I was to give a niece or nephew a book to study inside out it would be Lisa Cron’s “Wired for Story”. It is simply the best book on story concept’s and how the average person’s brain is hard wired in too receive a story I have as yet come across.

At the beginning of each chapter, Lisa gives scientific data to back up her claims, then she explains it in layman’s terms with examples. It is head and shoulders the best book on storytelling I have come across. I highly recommend it. So much that if I had a niece or nephew interested in writing, this would be the one book I would get them.

It is simply the best in my opinion.

Linda Adams
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

Thanks! I’ll check it out. :)

Weird Jim
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

You might check . I haven’t read it for a while, but I seem to remember liking it for its simple approach. The link has the Look Inside thing.

RavenCorbie
            Participant
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

A couple of books I think are great for the exploration of writing your way are:

Writing the Wave by Elizabeth Ayres
              Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

I would have loved both of them when I was a teenager.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.