Attack on Salman Rushdie – Shock, Horror

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad Attack on Salman Rushdie – Shock, Horror

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Wandering Author
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

As I write this, it is unclear just how badly he has been hurt. (Yes, it’s obviously serious, but I have no idea what his chances of surviving the injury may be.)

The idea ANY author could be attacked in an attempt to murder them for their opinions is deeply shocking to me. I’m not outraged by Salman Rushdie’s work, but that isn’t the point. As long as they stick to books as opposed to actions, I don’t believe any author should be in physical danger because they expressed an opinion. Even one which I might deeply oppose. I’m not saying I might not argue, write a rebuttal, or the like.

If Hitler had stopped with writing Mein Kampf, I’d still find it a deeply repugnant book, but I’d be shocked at the idea anyone might stab him over it.

I don’t really know what to say. When the libraries were closed because of the pandemic, it was deeply unsettling to me – but I also understood why such a drastic action was necessary. This is madness. Utter and complete madness. Perhaps my reaction is, in part, because I’ve had a very rough summer, but I have no idea how to cope with this news.

Magic Seeker
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

I was shocked, too. And even more shocked when I learned it happened in the US. The last few years have been rough in many ways, but murder because of a novel should be unthinkable.

Happy writing,
        Deb Salisbury
        The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
        www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
        https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
        http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

Balthamus
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

It’s utter madness. I’m not a particular fan of Salman Rushdie, but I’m a fan of being alive and I’m glad he survived to hopefully write some more. If we all killed those we disagreed with, there’d be nobody left to read our stories!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.