Ashe’s Reading for 2021

Home Forums Main Lobby The Reading Room Ashe’s Reading for 2021

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 475
    • Replies - 9,514

Well, I clearly didn’t keep up with my updates on last year’s post. I considered relabeling it, then realized I had not entered anything at all, and didn’t want to deal with the crushed text.

So here is the thread for this year’s reading. The book list is below, and after that, I’ll enter reviews and cover copy like I have in the past, with each book getting its own sub-post in this thread.

This year’s reading goal is 12 books.

Ashe Elton Parker
    "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Look me up on Wattpad for some of my books!
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 475
    • Replies - 9,514

This post contains the list of books I’ve read for easy reference. Books are listed in order finished, and are accompanied by reviews.

1) Easy Tarot Handbook by Josephine Ellershaw, instructional
    2) Alien Winter by J.A. Marlow, Contemporary Science-Fiction
    3) Princes of the Apocalypse by Wizards of the Coast, D&D Adventure Campaign
    4) Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig, Spirituality
    5) Murder in Absentia by Assaph Mehr, Historical Fantasy Mystery

Ashe Elton Parker
    "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 475
    • Replies - 9,514

1) Easy Tarot Handbook by Josephine Ellershaw, instructional

COVER COPY:

Created especially for beginners, the Easy Tarot kit is the easiest way to learn to read Tarot cards. In the Easy Tarot Handbook, author Josephine Ellershaw shares tips, shortcuts, and time-saving techniques gained from more than thirty years of experience reading Tarot cards.

Using the beautiful Gilded Tarot deck, you’ll learn how the seventy-eight cards link to one another and provide insight as their unique energies merge in the Cross of Truth, the Celtic Cross, and other spreads. There is even a list of card combinations that commonly indicate specific events-such as pregnancy, a wedding, a new job, and more. Also included in the Easy Tarot Handbook:

•⊂ A quick guide to card meanings
    •⊂ Sample readings, safeguards, and ethical guidelines
    •⊂ Tips on keeping a Tarot diary
    •⊂ Troubleshooting advice that addresses questions such as, “What if the cards don’t seem to connect?”

FORMAT: Print. As far as I know, it is only available in print format.

AVAILABILITY: I purchased the entire Easy Tarot kit from Amazon. It came boxed with the Gilded Tarot deck by Ciro Marchetti and a paper fold-out Celtic Cross Spread template.

WHAT THE BOOK OFFERS: Using the Gilded Tarot as the deck for this book, and employing over 30 years’ experience, author Josephine Ellershaw introduces the beginner, and not-so-beginner, to her method of tarot reading. She goes through each suit of the Minor Arcana, followed by their Court Cards, and finishes off the Tarot definitions with those of the Major Arcana. Also in the book are a very small variety of spreads, and instructions on how to learn to read the tarot intuitively. Ms. Ellershaw brings the reader from the basics of the tarot deck and provides her method on how to handle and read the cards.

WHAT I DISLIKED ABOUT THE BOOK: I grew weary of the frequency with which the subjects of romance and marriage came up not only in the Minor Arcana, but also in the Major Arcana. It almost seemed as if this was the author’s private obsession, for it was included in the explanations of cards whose definitions I’ve never seen it a part of. Granted, my experience is limited, but no other tarot source I’m familiar with has suggested that romance/marriage be such a priority in the tarot, not even Power Tarot, and that book has subsections for each card, including one for romance.

I also felt like Ms. Ellershaw was handing this instruction down from on high. When I shared the passages I had difficulty accepting as mere advice to another reader who has far more experience than I have, they agreed that the author of the Easy Tarot Handbook was transmitting her personal method of reading the cards as something akin to the One True Way.

Beyond that, some of the cards, particularly a number of those in the Major Arcana had very brief explanations that would have left me clueless as to how to employ the card in a reading. While I currently find keywords helpful, I gravitated to the books I first bought because of their more comprehensive definitions of the cards. Sometimes the Easy Tarot Handbook left much to be desired in that realm.

And one final thing: Ms. Ellershaw advocates using tarot as a predictor of future events. As far as I can recall, every other source on tarot I’ve come across has focused on using tarot as a tool to understanding oneself and one’s place in the world at a particular time. The author of the Easy Tarot Handbook even offers suggestions of questions the reader may ask the cards as they do their personal readings, and every single question prompted the type of query that asks for peeks into the unknowable future.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE BOOK: Ms. Ellershaw provides some troubleshooting advice in the back of the book which may be helpful in readings; I haven’t tested it yet, mostly because I haven’t done any readings where I struggled with the cards. She also provides advice on how different cards relate to one another that I may find helpful.

I also liked her lesson suggestion which tells the beginner to take each card and write lists of what memories, thoughts, and associations the image thereon brings to mind instead of relying upon the explanation of the card from the book.

The author advises the new reader to keep a tarot journal with records of their exercises and their personal readings. She also suggests that the new reader practice doing personal readings until they understand the cards and how the cards work for them. I think both of these are sound advice.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK?: I would not recommend this book to a raw beginner, though that was Ms. Ellershaw’s purpose in writing the book. Her fixation on romance/marriage would, I feel, mislead an impressionable new reader. Also, the brevity of some cards’ definitions left me unimpressed. And I feel that the inflexibility of the “advice” provided on the care and handling of the deck would force a new reader into a mold and pattern of behavior that may not work well for them.

However, I would suggest this book for a more experienced student of tarot who has tested other books. I feel gaining a wider familiarity with tarot would benefit any newer readers who come to this book. That should enable them to determine how useful the instruction and explanations of the cards may be to them.

CLOSING REMARKS: While this book has merits, I largely feel that the fresh, new beginner to tarot would be better served by other books. As it is, I’d say this would be a middling-useful book to anyone who has the personal flexibility to understand what may best work for them and a willingness to study wider than the Easy Tarot Handbook.

Ashe Elton Parker
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 475
    • Replies - 9,514

2) Alien Winter by J.A. Marlow, Contemporary Science Fiction

COVER COPY:

Hawk and Zach Callahan finally arrive at the lodge Crazy Uncle George left them. It’s more than they expected, literally, but that also means there is a lot more to clean.

And clean, and clean…

But it’s hard to clean when the lodge has a plumbing problem and the power keeps going out. Oh, and then there are the noises, and with the suggestion the Salmon Run Lodge is haunted.

As Zach starts attending a new school he sees his father sink into depression over the state of the lodge and all the problems associated with it. Is his father planning to pack them up and move them back to the lower-48 before they’ve even survived their first Alaskan winter?

But the humans of Salmon Run aren’t the only ones with problems. Nanuk is ordered to take with him a new arrival, jeopardizing his observations on the humans. The only one who seems to be doing well is Yenni, who has a new sensor and is anxious to use it in his studies.

The human world and the alien world collide on the same day when the town of Salmon Run come together to help out the Callahans, leading Zach and Sasha on a wild ride through the Alaskan wilds.

And with it the possible answers to multiple mysteries surrounding Salmon Run, the Lodge, and the aliens themselves.

A 35100 word stand-alone Novella in the Salmon Run series.

MY REVIEW:

In this book, J.A. Marlow weaves another compelling tale describing the adventures of Zach and Hawk Callahan, newcomers to Salmon Run hoping to be able to prepare and run their “crazy” uncle’s old vacation lodge in Alaska. Between cleaning the lodge and the intermittent, unexplainable power outages, they’re kept busy while Zach tends to school and accompanying his best friend Sasha to some new locations about the town.

And the aliens are having their own difficulties. They’ve been saddled with Major Dreel, who has no understanding of the research Yenni and Nanuk are performing. He tends to step in and make things worse when things would go perfectly fine if he just kept still. Even though he does prove a bit useful after a while, he is still more trouble than he’s worth.

Zach and Sasha’s encounters with Yenni, Nanuk, and Major Dreel only complicate matters for the two teens. And then Zach’s felt someone watching them, and it’s NOT the aliens. Sasha insists it’s the Little People, but he’s not so sure.

Author J.A. Marlow’s continuation of the Salmon Run series is a great follow-up to the initial book. Unlike the second books of other series, it doesn’t suffer from not being as good. It moves along at a steady pace, not leaving moments for the prose to lag. As in the first book, the chapters are short, but that makes it a faster read for an adult reader, and just-right for younger readers, for whom it’s aimed. Marlow writes the kind of feel-good science fiction that leaves the reader wanting more, and I definitely want more!

Ashe Elton Parker
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 475
    • Replies - 9,514

3) Princes of the Apocalypse by Wizards of the Coast, D&D Adventure Campaign

COVER COPY:

Primordial Evil Threatens the Realms

The first signs are always small:bandits on the roads, pirates on the Dessarin River, monster sightings throughout the Sumber Hills – all too close to the lands of civilized folk.

To top things off, a delegation from the dwarven city of Mirabar has gone missing. Are these events all some bizarre coincidence, or is there a deeper reason behind them?

Working through its prophets, the Elder Elemental Eye has emerged to spread chaos across the Forgotten Realms. How will the adventurers prevent absolute devastation?

A Dungeons & Dragons adventure for characters of levels 1-15

MY REVIEW:

In this addition to the Dungeons & Dragons series, Wizards of the Coast takes players through an adventure of defeating Elemental Evil. As a DM, the person who’ll be “telling the story”, I found this campaign interesting and entertaining to read in preparation for running the campaign for family and friends. The adventure permits a number of characters, designed by the players, to experience the world of Faerûn in a new and exciting way.

Tasked with preventing the complete invasion of Elemental Evil, the characters must work together as they gather information and pursue it to various locales throughout the Dessarin Valley. Suitable for levels 3 through 15, with an opening sample of adventures for levels 1 through 3 loosely tied to the main plot, the adventure unfolds as Elemental Evil makes its presence known to the players through different adventures their characters have in and around the valley. The campaign is full of colorful characters who may help or hinder—or prove ultimately indifferent—to the characters’ chance of success, and the world is rich and detailed with locations both above and below ground.

I’ve tried to run this campaign once but had to abandon it due to getting a temporary vocational rehab job early in 2020, and I’ve wanted to restart this campaign ever since. Princes of the Apocalypse provides plenty of options for engaging the players in the adventures to be had, from offering secret organizations who send them on the adventure to providing adventure hooks that give the characters plenty of reason to go investigating things in the Dessarin Valley. I’m looking forward to the challenge of guiding a group of players through this campaign.

The primary adventure involves traveling about the valley in pursuit of leads about the true source of the difficulties Red Larch, and the rest of the valley, are suffering. Opportunities abound for success, failure, and a whole lot of trouble for the players’ characters to endure. Eventually, the clues will lead the characters to a subterranean city abandoned by its Dwarven crafters centuries ago and now reclaimed as the temples for the four Elemental Evil Prophets and the Princes of Evil they serve.

Ashe Elton Parker
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 475
    • Replies - 9,514

4) Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig, Spirituality

COVER COPY:

For over two decades, Donald Michael Kraig’s Modern Magick has been the world’s most popular step-by-step guide to working real magick. Tens of thousands of individuals and groups have used this course as their primary instruction manual. Now, greatly revised and expanded, this set of lessons is more complete and relevant to your life than ever.

Written with respect for the student, Modern Magick will safely guide you―even if you know little or nothing―through a progressive series of practical exercises and rituals, complemented by the knowledge, history, insights, and theory you need to become a successful ceremonial magician. Firmly rooted in the Western magickal tradition yet designed to be fully compatible with your contemporary practice, this book will help you attain full mastery of all core topics in magick:

The inner mysteries of the Kabalah
    The most powerful rituals of magick
    How to create and perform your own rituals
    True meditation
    Magickal ethics
    Astral projection
    Tools of magick
    Evocation of spirits
    Pathworking
    Tantra and sex magick
    The importance of the Tarot
    Talismans and amulets
    Secrets of visualization
    Alchemy
    Psychic self-defense
    Healing rituals

Filled with personal stories and helpful illustrations, along with updated and brand-new material, this new edition of Modern Magick features a completely new lesson that reveals the concepts, techniques, and rituals of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, Chaos Magick, and Postmodern Magick. Ideal for beginning, intermediate, or advanced students, and perfect as a manual for magickal temples, this is essential reading for every true magician.

MY REVIEW:

FORMAT: I read it in ebook format, but it also comes in print format.

AVAILABILITY: I purchased this book from Amazon. It is also available from Barnes & Noble (though the prices are much higher).

WHAT THE BOOK OFFERS: In this book, the author outlines practices that the reader should develop into habits. As much a book on self-improvement as anything else, Donald Michael Kraig includes rituals that aid in visualization, building confidence, and developing self-discipline. This is no simple book on Magick, but seems to offer the groundwork for the reader becoming an all-round better person through the use of ritual and the development of their Magickal ability.

Within these twelve lessons, I found Magickal applications for many of the things I’ve learned through being treated for bipolar disorder. And, in fact, Donald Michael Kraig includes Neuro-Linguistic Programming as part of his lesson for the developmental process of the modern practitioner of Magick.

Not only that, the author includes at the end of each chapter extensive bibliographies, and lesson questions to be answered by the student.

WHAT I DISLIKED ABOUT THE BOOK: Mainly its price. I have a limited budget. Even $9.99 (USD) is a lot to spend on an ebook.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE BOOK: I found the book an enjoyable read, and even tried to tough out the entire section on sex magick, which, as an asexual, I doubt I’ll ever participate in under any capacity. All of the information I read (even that on sex magick) was easy to understand. Donald Michael Kraig took the time to explain the jargon, sometimes in excruciating detail, but I appreciated it all. By doing it his way, he ensures that his readers understand even some of the finer nuances of the lessons he wrote. It may be a bit tedious and boring for a more experienced practitioner of Magick, but I have a feeling I’ll be referring to this book for information I need for many years to come, even if it’s only to find another book to buy from his bibliographies.

One of the things I especially liked was the FAQ section he included at the back of the book. It was nice to see that a number of my own questions had been asked by other readers, and then answered by the author.

And, an interesting phenomenon happened as I read this book. To be honest, at the beginning, I wasn’t sure that I should even bother reading this book. And, in fact, I was expecting a lot of what I tend to call woo-woo stuff—information that was incomplete or too “out there” for me to believe in. However, that was not what I found, and in fact, whenever I began to doubt that I should be reading this book, the next time I opened it to read more after such thoughts, the text would address my thoughts. This happened on more than one occasion—every single time I began to doubt that this is the right path for me.

I’m not usually one who sees Signs in everything, but it became pretty clear to me that this was the right book, at the right time, for me.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK?: I would definitely recommend this book, particularly to the newcomer to Magick. Donald Michael Kraig’s overview of Ceremonial Magick offers, I think, a good starting point for anyone who thinks this particular style of Magick may be for them.

CLOSING REMARKS: Modern Magick offers concrete guidelines for beginning one’s Magickal journey and points at many other books for the continuation of study. I did not feel talked-down-to or condescended to by the author, who repeatedly advises his readers to perform further study. Given my overall experience with this book, I feel it was the best place for me to start my reading on the occult.

Ashe Elton Parker
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 475
    • Replies - 9,514

5) <i>Murder in Absentia</i> by Assaph Mehr, Historical Fantasy Mystery

COVER COPY:

A young man is found dead in his bed, with a look of extreme agony on his face and strange tattoos all over his body. His distraught senator father suspects foul play, and knows who to call on.

Enter Felix, a professional investigator. In the business of ferreting out dark information for his clients, Felix is neither a traditional detective nor a traditional magician – but something in between. Drawing on his experience of dealing with the shady elements of society and his aborted education in the magical arts, Felix dons his toga and sets out to discover the young man’s killers.

Murder in absentia is set in a fantasy world. The city of Egretia borrows elements from a thousand years of ancient Roman culture, from the founding of Rome to the late empire, mixed with a judicious amount of magic. This is a story of a cynical, hardboiled detective dealing with anything from daily life to the old forces roaming the world

This is a story of Togas, Daggers and Magic – it will appeal to lovers of urban fantasy, detective murder mysteries and ancient Rome.

NOTE that this novel is written in British English, which uses different spelling than US English.

MY REVIEW:

I love a good murder mystery, and Assaph Mehr provides an excellent one in his book, <i>Murder in Absentia</i>. Set in a fictional, magic-rich Ancient Roman locale, Mehr takes us on the journey of his protagonist Felix the Fox, a freelance sleuth of Egretia.

When a young man of a notable family is found dead in his bed, the father’s concern inspires him to hire Felix. What Felix finds upon his inspection of the youth’s body is nothing less than shocking—the stuff of nightmares involving illegal magic. Tattoos meant to fill the youth with power mark his chest, above a heart that is now a solid ruby. This is the result of magic that has been outlawed in Egretia for generations.

Felix traverses the region where Egretia serves as a trade hub in pursuit of the answers to this mystery. Certain a mysterious cabal had a pivotal role in the spell that killed the young man, Felix does everything he can to gain entry into the private group so he may prove their complicity.

Packed with detail spanning the entirety of the Ancient Roman Empire and a riveting quest to discover the truth, <i>Murder in Absentia</i> compelled me to continue reading. This was one book I was decidedly eager to return to whenever I had time to pick it up, and if I wasn’t able to read, it was on my mind. I found Felix a realistic and interesting protagonist with a history in his world, and his challenging mystery took many interesting, and surprising, turns.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in mysteries, especially if they’re willing to give historical fantasy a try.

Ashe Elton Parker
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.