And thus the Cinders were made into flame, and the passion was made bright.

Home Forums House of Creativity Welcome Mat: The Spot for Newcomers And thus the Cinders were made into flame, and the passion was made bright.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CinderSpark
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hi! So, I’m one of those people with millions of ideas and way too much time on their hands. Unfortunately, this leads to twenty half-finished books. Hopefully I can actually finish one soon -fingers crossed- I don’t really have a definite genre, in fact I try to write books that are specifically outside of my comfort zone as often as I can. usually what I write corresponds with what I’m reading. If I’m reading about zombies, I work on my zombie book. If I’m reading Stephen king, I work on my ‘the government is trying to control your mind’ book. I currently have… -counts on her fingers, then on her toes- 13 books in the making, spanning as far back as when i was 12. Unfortunately, the writing is all I know about this world, so as far as finishing a book and publishing it, I’m sort of a tiny little baby person with amnesia.

Magic Seeker
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hello Cinder! Welcome to FM!

I suggest you take your favorite out of all your unfinished novels and try to work on it exclusively. Finish it, just that one.

The thrill and sense of accomplishment you’ll get may help you finish others. :)

Happy writing,
        Deb Salisbury
        The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
        www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
        https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
        http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

CinderSpark
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

I mostly am. I’m 111 pages into a book called warm embrace, and I’m trying to flesh it out so that I can end the story where the storyline is, and start the next book off of that. I’m working on descriptions and getting some character development where my mother said it was a little too fast to be believable, but other than that I think I have a pretty good book going on.

cupiscent
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

Hello CinderSpark, and welcome!

I know your pain of manymanylots ideas and half-finished stories. I had so many of them! And they taught me a lot and helped me improve my writing heaps. But I can’t emphasise how much I learned – and what a jump forward my understanding of story and writing took – when I pushed through and finished something. (And then edited and edited and polished it, but the finishing was a Big Thing.) Having worked through to an end really gives amazing perspective on beginnings and middles and the whole process of thinking about story.

Plus, just having done it once gives me confidence that I can do it again. :)

In terms of finishing, the only thing that will work is doing it – sitting down and writing. I’d say don’t worry about the publishing or even editing part now. When you’re ready for that, the internet (and this great set of boards here) will have heaps of help for you. But you’ll need to have the words down first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.