An hour of work, a half-hour of time — what do you do?

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad An hour of work, a half-hour of time — what do you do?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jhmcmullen
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

I was writing yesterday and got to the point where I was caught up in the scene–it’s the second-last scene in the story, I was rushed along trying to get stuff down–and frankly, we had to be someplace.

So I wrote something that finishes the story; it’ll have to be fixed in rewrite.

For me, having finished the story kind of releases the tension, and it will have to sit for a while for the rewrite. But the point is, even given limited choices, I had two options:

• Write placeholder stuff (which is what I did)
      • I could have just stopped and continued the next day. I do write every day.

I’d be vaguely dissatisfied no matter what I had chosen to do. And framing the question has me going, so why didn’t I finish it the next day? Poor impulse control? An urge to have it done done done?

My question to you is:

About an hour of writing to finish it off. You have half that or less. What would you choose to do?

Great at theory, terrible at practice.

JuneDrexler
      Participant
        0 Pirate Gold Coins

I would, as you did, make a decision in the moment. Maybe I would write a place holder if I had some idea of where I thought I wanted the ending to go — something I could fix later. Or, if I felt that I really had no idea what I wanted to do with those last (let’s see, for me 1/2 hour of writing — about 300 words) I would wait. For me, there wouldn’t be one answer for every story. It would vary in the moment.

If I could, I would probably prefer to have a ‘rough’ ending than have left it hanging. So, if I could do what you did, I would.

–June

KatsInCommand
        Participant
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’d have done the same thing. In fact, I did on my SAD #1. I knew if I didn’t finish it, I would lose the ‘feel’ of what I was working on. Story can be added and revised later. Pausing before the finish line is a great way to quit (at least for me).

Ashe Elton Parker
            38 Pirate Gold Coins

Since I generally try to write one scene per “sitting” or writing period, I generally don’t write if I have a limited amount of time and a whole scene to write. I find it more difficult to pick up a scene I’ve stopped writing in the middle. So, I would probably wait until I knew I had a decent block of time (at least an hour) to write the scene.

Ashe Elton Parker
            "Just love me, fear me, do as I say, and I will be your slave." ~ David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth
            ~*~
            Member since 1998.
            ~*~
            zette
              126 Pirate Gold Coins

This often depends on what I’m going to be working on the next day. If I want the first draft done and out of the way for other work that needs my attention, I’ll rush the end. But last night I stopped on a short story with probably no more than 300 to 500 words to go. I knew it would be there the next day and I would actually enjoy finishing it more after I had other non-writing work out of the way.

I do write every day, too, so I knew it wasn’t likely to be dropped and forgotten. Especially since I have my rule about finishing everything I start. So I guess for me there is less pressure about getting it done right now, which allows me to take a bit more time and enjoy it.

jhmcmullen
              Participant
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

In fact, I thought of this because I write every day. Yes, I rushed to get the story done, and then I said, “Hey, why rush? It’s not like you won’t be at the keyboard tomorrow.”

Interesting to see that some others get caught up the same way.

Great at theory, terrible at practice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.