a little troubled, at war

Home Forums Main Lobby Welcome Mat: The Spot for Newcomers a little troubled, at war

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Octavus
    Participant
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 22

Hello and thank you for taking time out of your life to read and help a lowly traveler. I mainly write short poems as I do not have the patience nor the discipline to conquer novels. I have started four books, the fourth of which began yesterday and is only birthing its first two pages before I begin thinking “Will I finish this one?” It hurts to know the depth of emotion lost to the flake of an individual unable to bring himself to the culmination of his experiences. ADVICE, please don’t hold back, I am determined to get these things out of me. Writing is the sink that catches my overfilled cup. I can’t keep it inside without it torturing me; it is healing, and it is beautiful. So I say again. ADVICE, please don’t hold back.

Also, I was extremely disappointed to find how anti-profitable poetry is. I get it; I know why it’s not profitable, but still, wish I didn’t have to bust my ass on the daily when such beauty seems to wash away easily with unjust rewards. Anyhow, if I had a ‘manuscript’ of poems, how would I go about publishing it, and/or if I were to individually ‘sell’ said poems, which would be most profitable/how would I also go about that? Not to say that I am only interested in profit. I know readers will read no matter what company stakes claims, so let business be business.

Also, sorry, I recently wrote an unrhyming poem about a page (or less) long, kinda like a short story except much shorter. What is that called/how would I publish that?

Ashe Elton Parker
    • Topics - 425
    • Replies - 9,212

Sometimes completing a novel takes practice just getting through it, but I’m sure you can do it. We’re all happy to help here on FM.

I’m not sure how to go about publishing poetry.

And I think that long, unhryming poem you wrote may be free verse. Even if I knew more about its technical/stylistic format, though, I probably wouldn’t be able to identify anything other than a Cinquain, and I’m not the best at that as it is. LOL My habitual attempts at poetry of various types is long, long past, and I only occasionally dabble in it when the muse hits me with the right idea these days.

Ashe Elton Parker
    "There's someone in my head, but it's not me." ~ from the song Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
    ~*~
    Member since 1998.
    ~*~
    Look me up on Wattpad for some of my books!
    Magic Seeker
    • Topics - 80
    • Replies - 1,214

Hello, Octavus. Welcome to FM!

I know very little about poetry, but I have heard rumors of people successfully indie publishing books of poetry on Createspace and Kindle. It’s not profitable in the short term, but in long term you might built up a following. On Kindle you can publish works as short as ten pages, I believe. A small collection of poems?

Best of luck to you.

Happy writing,
    Deb Salisbury
    The Mantua-Maker, Quality Historical Sewing Patterns and Books
    www.mantua-maker.com

The Art of the Hoop: 1860 - 1869, Dress, Sewing, and Clothing Care Advice
    https://www.mantua-maker.com/a---1860s-fashion.html

Dead Wizard's Loot: Wizard Whitewing #1
    http://www.djsalisburybooks.com/Dead-Wizard-s-Loot.html

Candy_Lips
    Participant
    • Topics - 16
    • Replies - 161

Hi there, Octavus.

When it comes down to writing a novel, personally, I don’t look at word count. Yes, I do talk about how many words I’m getting that day, which is about normal. I set goals and I always go back to a story. My muses are flighty at best, annoying pains in my arse at worst, so I know how it feels to start a novel and go “will I finish this?”

I do have one piece of advice. As long as you LOVE writing, and this includes just sitting down and writing down a new poem, do not stop. Keep going. No matter what someone says or does, keep going. Even if you start a hundred novels and never finish one, keep at it. One day you’ll find that story that once you start on it, it won’t let go.

Hey, it may even be one that you’ve already started on. Another piece, go back to old started works sometimes. You may find the muse for it once more. Just ignore that little voice that asks “Will I ever finish it?” and keep going.

It’s a pain, but so very worth it.

I hope this helps.

J.A. Marlow
    • Topics - 311
    • Replies - 1,099

To add to the good advice already given…

Many new writers have issues with finishing works. This can be for many reasons. The first step is to analyze why you stop writing on an idea that you once found exciting.

Are you unsure where to take the story?

Too many choices on where to go in the story?

Fearful you can’t do the story justice?

Do you lose your excitement after a short time?

Do you reach a point where you think it’s a steaming pile of cow patties?

Do you finish the opening and then feel overwhelmed by the rest?

Something else?

Each of the above (and any other answers) will typically require a different approach to get you over the roadblock. I think most of us have had several of the above in their writing lives.

Welcome to FM!

J.A. Marlow
    The String Weavers, Salmon Run, Redpoint One series.

Writer alter-ego of Dreamers Cove

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.