2 month challenges

Home Forums House of Creativity The Writing Pad 2 month challenges

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    magicalbookworm
    Participant
      0 Pirate Gold Coins

Now that we’re on a new forum and more people might be showing up. I’m wondering if anyone would be interested in starting the 2 month challenges again.

Dreamers Cove
      Keymaster
        1 Pirate Gold Coin

Two months is too long for my life at the moment, but I would love to see the 1-month challenges come back!

MarFisk
          0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’ll admit I had the same thought when I was subscribing to the new boards here. The every other month format worked for me for a very long time, and though I’d have to set my goals a lot lower now, it just might keep me rolling :).

The current format is “come when you want,” which is nice and flexible, but doesn’t drive the participation of the moderated versions. Same thing happened with the biweekly marathons, but they were a bit exhausting to run.

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.
          https://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com/the-steamship-chronicles/

magicalbookworm
          Participant
            0 Pirate Gold Coins

Yeah, my goals would be low too, but it would get me moving. I think there’s something about knowing someone else is doing the challenges also that pushes you forward. That’s why sprints work so well for me.

magicalbookworm
            Participant
              0 Pirate Gold Coins

1 month ones would be great too!

WorthyWoman
              Participant
                0 Pirate Gold Coins

I think I would like to try the 2-month challenges. How do they work?

MarFisk
                  0 Pirate Gold Coins

Here is the board for them and each challenge has slightly different rules, but you choose your type(s) of challenges then your level and create a thread there for tracking. It covers pretty much all the bases from world building to submission, though I may be misremembering some of the categories.

FM Two-Month Challenges

She remakes mechanical devices, and he dreams of becoming a steamship captain in The Steamship Chronicles. Book 1 is free in eBook.

bonnie824
                  Participant
                    0 Pirate Gold Coins

I just saw/found this and also posted the same thing. It does look Zette may be setting one up for January/February.

MarFisk
                      0 Pirate Gold Coins

Cool. The challenges help with the feeling of someone looking over your shoulder and paying attention to what you’re accomplishing, so it’s worth giving them a try. Heck, I may consider it for closing out Apprentice finally myself :).

Tanya9771
                      Participant
                        0 Pirate Gold Coins

It’ll be great if they do start up again, so I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed.

MarFisk
                          0 Pirate Gold Coins

Okay, I’ll commit to doing at least one challenge (novel edit) in the J-F period. That means they’ll start up again :). The info is at the top of each board, so check through and choose one that’ll give you progress. Report the link back here when you do, and I’ll subscribe to cheer you on. Sound reasonable? And that’s to Tanya or anyone who wants to start off the year strong and get the challenges rolling.

I went ahead and made mine now:

MarFisk's Jan-Feb 2020 Journeyman Novel Rewrite

The rules are there (use the link above), but they’re toward the last page because they’re not pinned. I don’t know if that’s possible here, so we may want to move the rules to one level up.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by MarFisk. Reason: Added link to challenge thread

bonnie824
                          Participant
                            0 Pirate Gold Coins

I’ll try, not sure I know how to link back here.

bonnie824
                            Participant
                              0 Pirate Gold Coins

I will do apprentice level (2000 words of material) although some might actually be edited/rewritten as I intend to add a poem or several to each section of my memoir I started last year.

MarFisk
                                0 Pirate Gold Coins

Bonnie824 said:

I will do apprentice level (2000 words of material) although some might actually be edited/rewritten as I intend to add a poem or several to each section of my memoir I started last year.

Sounds like a plan, Bonnie. Good luck, especially with the poetry.

However, I think you put your goal on this thread rather than the related board…or I missed one when I subscribed to them. To link back, just

1) make your thread in the folder (not as a reply but creating a new topic under the one you want (I presume Non-Fiction for a memoir?)).
                                2) Click “Submit
                                3) Once it reloads the page, copy the post address from the browser address line (For Example: https://fmwriters.com/fm/forums/topic/bonnie824_s_J-F_2019_Nonfiction_goal/ (fake link so shouldn’t work).
                                4) Come back to this thread, and paste the post address into the comment. The forum does the rest.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by MarFisk.

bonnie824
                                Participant
                                  0 Pirate Gold Coins

OK think I got it. I did add it ass a topic instead of reply but under Poetry not Nonfiction (as the memoir is nonfiction, but adding in the poetry and the poems themselves are what I’ll be working on for the challenge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.